Monday, March 15, 2010

The things we do for fashion



Green dress run –the things we do for fashion:

Okay, I have to admit that I’ve been looking forward to the return of the Albuquerque Road runners Green dress run since the Outlaws were invited back in January, it sounded like a lot of fun.

It’s been a long time since I’ve run with the Roadrunners and I forgot how friendly and supportive they are, plus they put on a great handicap series. Many thanks for inviting us to run!


The course is a tough 4 miles in the foothills of Albuquerque, with a shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream just a little after mile marker 2 – at the top of a one mile assent. The shot, the race and the good time’s were all for free. The catch is that you have to run in a Green dress, and the dresses are free.

I arrived a bit late for the run so the selection of dresses was a bit short. Luckily the Dread Pirate was there to help & found a nice “flirty” dress for me. It kinda looked like a large Girl Scout uniform and the GeekGirl started making girlscout cookie jokes. Funny.

When I tried on the dress, to say it was snug would be an understatement, I could barely breath. DP said don’t worry you’ll be fine it’s just a sacrifice you’ll have to make for fashion- great.


Ready to go and I get hooked up with two really fast looking girls, they were down from Colorado to run in the USA indoor track & field championships and decided to do the race for fun. I managed to keep up with one of the girls but other one just took off like a bat out of hell, she put about a quarter mile on me by the 1 mile marker. Wow is she fast – must be nice to be 20 and in great shape! The other girl that I was able to keep up with was having wardrobe problems. Okay, keeping up really means I was following her, and I might throw in that there is something strangely alluring about running after a girl in dress, very distracting.

Before hitting mile two some of the other Colorado runners came zipping by me like I was standing still – wow those guys were good!

The run was really hard, not just because I couldn’t breathe (because the dress was so tight), but racing in the foot hills with the ups and downs, the loose gravel and the big assents is just plain hard.

Misty striking a great pose

1 comment:

Flamin' Mo said...

hmmm, distracting, huh? I guess if you ever do a 100, I'll have to line up a bunch of girls to pace you in dresses!