Monday, August 18, 2008

I seem to be a little slow on the draw this morning. While making my morning oatmeal I couldn’t find the oatmeal container. It’s not in its usual place on top the fridge. Where is that darn thing? Did the kids move it? Maybe it fell and broke? Did the kids drop it and throw it away? Humm, where is it? Oh there it is, right where I put it three minutes ago, next to the pot, just sitting there waiting for me to measure out my gruel for the day. Wow, I need a little more recovery time.

This weekends fun began on Saturday with a nice 50 mile ride. It was supposed to be 65 but we turned around early to ride with the rest of the group with the intention of added on the extra miles at the end of the run. Weeelll, when we stopped to drop off the other folks, I wasn’t exactly excited about getting back on the bike so we stopped for coffee! Much better than riding don’t you think?

Later that day I followed up the ride with a 2500 yard swim, wow did that feel good, it’s been a week or so since I’ve been swimming so I needed to make up some yardage.

Later that day we walked around the Salsa Fiesta for a couple of hours and had one of the best quesadilla of all time. Of course, maybe I was hungry from working out twice and walking around for a couple of hours, nah.

Saturday night, was dessert at Flying star, yum, Strawberry Rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream. And good company to boot, what more can you ask for?

Sunday’s Workout was the run from hell! That is if you have to run up a mountain to get to hell. It seems the Dread Pirate is a little challenged when it comes to guestimating mileage and grade. Her 5 mile hill run turned out to be 8 miles of soleus bashing, quad busting 14% incline fun. The plan was to do the “Hill” run and then run another hour or so, right….I didn’t want to take another step right then so the next best move was to do what triathletes do so well, eat! Yep, we all voted for breakfast every except the Iron Maiden who keep to her plan and finished her run, kudos to her!
This is a picture of the "hill" we ran up, no, it's not the little hill in front. It's the big hill above and behind the clouds. Okay we didn't really run up the entire mountain, but we were above the clouds!



Being the type A personality I am meant that I was really feeling guilty about not putting in the extra miles. Soooo, I conned my son into going for a 6 mile ride in the bosque to keep me company on, yes, my second run of the day. Wow, did the legs feel heavy, what fun!

It turns out that I have good reason to be a little slow on the draw today. Yep, It was a tough weekend.

5 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Good thing you put in that extra hour, you slug!

skoshi said...

Well...at first I thought you were pulling a Mr. T--but the oatmeal didn't end up in the bathroom, so I guess it was just a Bones.

Sounds like a GREAT weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'd say after that weekend anyone would be a bit mentally drained! Nice job on the workouts, you inspire me :-) Getting in both that bike and swim says post-workout goodies to me. Your run sounds rough but beautiful. Does your son run with you often?

Bones said...

Hey Mango,

Yep I didn't feel guilty about eating anything! Both runs are through some really pretty parts of Albuquerque. I'll see If I can post a picture of the Bosque trail. My son is 9 and rides ahead of me on the trail. The trick is trying to keep up with him!

Podium quest said...

Sounds like you need to pick up a hobby. You aren't nearly busy enough;)

No wonder your so fast.