Wednesday, January 9, 2008




Okay, so now that I’m doing better I need to lose all the weight that I put on while sick. An amazing 6 pounds! Yeah, I know it doesn’t sound like a lot but that’s in addition to my normal and accepted winter weight gain. I tend to eat about the same amount of food regardless of whether I’m training or not, of course the holidays haven’t helped much either.

I’ve been thinking about my diet a lot lately and have decided to start recording what I eat and get rid of the things that are really bad. The last few times I’ve checked my caloric intake it has been eye opening. I’ve been at 3400+ calories per day and more while training long course. This summer, while training for Ironman Louisville, I tried to cut back my calories to take off a few pounds and ended up bonking several times on my daily bike commute. It really sucks to be stuck on the side of the trail only a mile or two from home but too freaked out to make it home. Gu to the rescue! So this year I’m going to keep track of my diet a little closer than usual. I’ve decided to use a program called Life Form. The program seems pretty intuitive and it has a 30 day free trial, just enough for me to get a handle on things. The interface is pretty outdated, old school Visual Basic, but it works so who am I to complain?

Yesterdays totals were about what I expected, 3,000ish calories and I burned about 3300, guess I shouldn’t have had that slice of pizza before dinner! Anyway, I’m not sure how accurate the calories burned calculation is but it’s on par with my tanita scale.

Did you know 30 almonds have about 885 calories? Wow! Guess what was the first thing I cut down on?

4 comments:

SWTrigal said...

I know the only way I could drop those extra lbs is to keep track of what I was eating. And those almonds-give me a break! They are so little and so calorie laden..
Glad you are on the mend.

SWTrigal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
skoshi said...

How's that tanita scale? Does having it make you obsessive?
Margin of error and accuracy?
Just curious.
Since women have a higher percentge of body fat, just getting one of those would probably ruin my life--er--day...
One time I was dunked in a tank of water for body fat percent calculation. 9%!! Those were the days when I did gymnastics and was weighed to the quarter pound daily...
Wow...being sick for 3-ish weeks--glad your feeling better :)

skoshi said...

Whoops. Forgot. T and I want to wish you, Lorna and family a happy New Year. We missed it when we were out of town.